Last month, I wrote a “State of the Fiction” summary. The idea was to be publicly accountable to my goals. Each month, I’ll talk about what I got done the prior month, what I’m planning the next month, and any major lessons learned.
So… Last Month:
1. Finish first draft of Pharaoh: Epic fail.
I don’t know that I even touched this draft. Pretty embarrassed on this one.
2. Three Short Story Competitions: Marginal.
Got Unrequited submitted, and did a whole LOT of putzing around on one of the two others (Skycraft). Sort of started two more (<1500 words in each).
Side note, got my first rejection letter (the story I submitted in December). Yay.
3. Memories Page on the Blog: Success.
Got the page up, and got three memories posted. Was hoping for 4-5, but 3 is a good place to start.
4. Blog tag cleanup + Works in Progress: 50%
Took care of the works in progress page, but didn’t do diddly on the blog tags.
5. Read 4 more books: Success.
Reviews are queued up. But I knocked this one out.
6. Twitter: Negative progress.
Not only did I not make progress here, I uninstalled it from my phone.
Not an impressive month. I did manage to get an interview in, which is positive… otherwise not feeling good about it. Definitely feel like I dropped the ball.
Part of my problem is that I took a week to try and change up my writing schedule. I started trying to get up early, and that really sucked the life out of my writing. I just wasn’t getting anything done. What really made that bite was that once you go a week without writing, you get really sluggish when you try to get going again. So a week of nothing… Then a week of putzing. Then I got all hyper-critical on one of my short story works… sucked into research world and not actually getting stuff written. Three wasted weeks of a 4 week month.
Worst of all, I completely fell apart on this blog (which I really need to remedy). I haven’t written flash fiction in two weeks, and my posts have been some of the weakest things I’ve put out since I started blogging. March is going to be better.
Here’s the plan for March:
1) I can’t start something new until 2 things are finished. This pattern repeats until I have no works in progress (either because I’ve shelved it forever, or I’ve actually cleaned it up and finished it). I’d like to say “finish 2 this month”, but that’s the line I’m drawing in the sand.
2) I’m still hopeful to get the rough draft on Pharaoh progressed… But let’s be a little less ambitious. Let’s say: 20,000 words.
3) Get the blog going again… I’d like a FFfAW every week for the rest of the month, and potentially 1-2 more. At minimum, the Flash Fictions feel like I’m making progress.
4) Critique something on Critters. I know I can do that.
5) Visit some other blogs and throw down some meaningful comments. Surrounding myself with eager writers fuels me. I need to do that.
I give myself a D+ this month (With A being the best, and F being failure). How do you think I did? Do you have any writing goals this month?