So it’s been a little over 2 months since I’ve posted anything; Probably 3 since I’ve written anything. I had a lot of lies I told myself when I stopped and why I didn’t restart:
- Working on the blog has taken me away from what my true passion is: Writing that story.
- Challenge to myself: I’m not going to do any more blogging UNTIL I get one short story finished.
- I’m transitioning from fiction into a non-fiction blog on leadership and career coaching.
- The premise of the blog isn’t good. I’m not even a published author… How can I make judgments on what is good or bad?
- I’ve got a lot going on.
I told myself all of these things, but not even the last one is a good enough reason.
So where have I been?
A few things have been going on that have pulled me away:
- We started the year-end process at work, so it gets really busy for me as we start having performance and compensation conversations with everybody.
- My wife is getting towards the end of the pregnancy, and we have a million things to do at home to get ready for another baby.
- Kids started school back up, which cuts means I need to get to bed an hour earlier to get them ready in the morning.
- I started playing some video games again
- Frankly, I just lost motivation.
I’ve known through all this that writing is hard work, and books don’t write themselves, and blah blah blah… But man. It really is tough work. While I love the stories in my head, sometimes the act of getting them on paper is a siege.
That said, I’ve rekindled myself (literally; just bought my first kindle). I tried the non-fiction thing, and while it’s a lot easier for me to write, it only inspired a deeper need within me to get my stories out there. I’ve got renewed focus on making sure my book gets written.
This blog may take a different form… I intend to leverage it a bit more as a mental journal as I work on one story… Forgetting everything I’ve read about marketing, and building a following, and all that good stuff. I’m not going to get fixated on my nightly schedule, or all the other things I’d like to participate in. I just
want need to get my books done. It’s going to happen. The blog posts may not be as consistent as they were, but they’ll do what I originally designed the blog for: Chronicle my journey from writer to author as I start my first fiction… And get it done.
Hope you enjoy the journey with me.
How do you stay motivated?